Residents in Cottonwood said they're relieved that a suspect has been arrested in a string of suspicious fires that's terrorized their town.
But none more so than Lulie Lummis.
The last time we talked with Lummis, she was exhausted after staying awake at night to keep an eye on her home.
But she's doing much better after hearing news that police arrested 19-year-old Samuel Villa Scholfield of Cottonwood in connection with the fires.
“For the first time, I've slept really well last night,” Lummis said. “I think I slept about six hours which is really well for me because it felt good not knowing that my house isn't going to go up in flames at any moment.”
Lummis had been living in fear after two homes burned on her street.
One of those fires happened across the street killing 86-year-old Barcie Miller October 7.
“I seen their family when they were here going through the stuff and the tears they shed,” Lummis said. “So it was really sad watching that. It broke my heart. I mean for this to happen, there was no reason.”
Little did anyone know that the suspect lived on Chestnut Street just moments away where the first string of fires began.
“It makes me outraged and scared because he was so close,” Lummis said. “It could have been us next. It could have been my home or my neighbor's home. So I'm glad now. I'm happy that they got him.”
And she said most people she's talked to feel the same.
“They're happy that they've caught him,” Lummis said. “They're able to sleep now. They're a little more relaxed. But again, don't let your guard down. Keep your guard up.”
Anyone with any information or video of the suspect or the fires is asked to contact the Shasta County Sheriff's Office.
And they also remind people to stay vigilant.
They say continue turning on your lights at night and keep an eye on your neighborhood.
- Cottonwood Residents Relieved After Arson Suspect Arrested
- Cottonwood Arson Suspect Makes First Court Appearance
- Arson Suspects Arrested in Placer County
- Four arrested after probation search in Cottonwood
- Victim Identified in Cottonwood Housefire
- New Series of Fires in Cottonwood Sunday Morning May Be Arson
- Arson Suspect Arrested in Connection to Anderson Fires
- Officers Arrest Arson Suspect Behind Raley's in Red Bluff
- Secret witness offers reward for information on suspected Cottonwood arsonist
- Drug bust in Cottonwood leads to 2 arrests