UPDATE 11:16 a.m. Friday, Oct. 12, 2018 - Court documents have identified the victim in the case as Angelika Deno.
Neighbors in the Marty Court cul-de-sac told Action News Now that the victim is Erik Deno's mother.
However, the relationship between the victim and the suspected attacker has not yet been confirmed by the Corning Police Department and the Tehama County Sheriff's Office.
Stay with KHSL Channel 12 and actionnewsnow.com for the latest updates as they become available.
UPDATE 4:37 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 10, 2018 - Deeno is being held in Tehama County Jail on a $1 million bail. He is set to be arraigned on Thursday.
CORNING, Calif. - On Monday at approximately 8:12 p.m., Corning police responded to a welfare check in the Marty Court cul-de-sac. According to a police report provided to Action News Now, police entered the premises once it was determined the victim was not inside the home.
Police arrested 32-year-old Erik Deno, who was found in a bedroom inside the residence.
Neighbors tell Action News Now reporter Stephanie Lin they heard a woman screaming from inside the residence earlier that day. Other eyewitnesses later that evening said they heard Deno "fighting" with officers when they tried to make the arrest.
One man who is staying in the neighborhood told Action News Now that he saw police find the body of the victim inside a garbage bin in front of the house. He described the body as "stiff" and "curled."
Corning police have not yet confirmed whether eyewitness accounts are true, or if Deno is related to the unnamed victim.
Deno is being held at the Tehama County Jail. We will continue to follow this story and provide immediate updates. Anyone with additional information is encouraged to contact Corning police.
- Suspect Arraigned, Victim Identified in Corning Murder Case
- Arraignment for Zucker Murder Suspect
- Authorities chase, arrest Corning attempted murder suspect
- Shasta County Arson Suspect Arraigned Tuesday
- LATEST: Arbuckle murder suspect in court, victims identified
- Court finds Corning murder suspect incompetent to stand trial
- Fatal Crash Victim Identified
- Redding man arraigned on two counts of murder
- Arraignment at end of May for Oroville Murder and Robbery Suspects Sealy & Seim
- Cold case murder suspect back in court