Construction continues at the skate park in Chico after breaking ground two weeks ago.
Grindline the worldwide company in charge of this project has construction crews here compacting the dirt to prepare for pouring the concrete, which they hope to do that after the Christmas break.
"We're cutting the form for the bowl while we prep all the steel for all the hand rales and copping and everything," said Dave Palmer, Grindline Superintendent.
It took about two years to get the project approved and fully funded, but now it's in good hands with this company, made by skateboarders for skateboarders.
"We still skate and we want to build the best stuff that we want to ride and we have to face our peers once the project is done," said Palmer.
Palmer also known as 'Shaggy' in the skate world helped found the company in 2002.
"We just wanted stuff to skate and it turned into a business," said Palmer.
Now they design parks around the US and world, "Parks in Poland and we've done like 7 parks in Isreal," said Palmer.
Our new park will feature a 10.5 foot bowl, Palmer says it's going to be a park to skaters across the North State should be excited for.
"It'll be really cool. We don't usually get a chance to build a vertical pool, which we don't get to do as often. It gives the advanced skaters something to ride and it gives beginners something to strive for which I think is lacking in a lot of skateparks," said Palmer.
The Parks and Recreation Department hopes to have the new and improved skate park ready by this Spring, but that all depends on the rain we get this winter.
The city budgeted $450,000 for the new skatepark, $80,000 of that was raised by our community and the group 'Chico Skatepark Solutions".
- Construction underway at the Chico Skatepark
- A big donation for Chico’s skatepark
- Several Construction Projects Underway at Chico State
- J Levee Construction Underway in Hamilton City
- Closure of Oro-Chico Highway for Construction
- Construction progress on New Chico VA
- Chico housing turns to infill construction
- Construction begins on new skate park in Chico
- Redding Death Investigation Underway
- Needle distribution program underway