THERMALITO, Calif. - The process of annexing Thermalito into the city limits of Oroville is very much still in the early stages. City management is gathering feedback and community reaction before handing it to the city council of Oroville.
If handed over to the city council, they will still have to be approved by the city council of Oroville.
Then LAFCO's (Butte Local Agency Formation Commission) Board of Supervisors will have the final decision whether Thermalito will join the city of Oroville.
The map of the proposed area of annexation for Thermalito is approximately 2,500 acres and includes areas West of Hwy 70, and areas on both sides of Oro Dam Blvd.
"Really we're at the informational exchange point right now. Any concerns that people have we want to answer for them."
When it comes to why Assistant City Administrator with Community Development in Oroville, Leo DePaola said, "Well annexations have been spurred by development. Most of the development, residential development anyways has been happening on the west side."
"We feel we can offer more services in that environment than the county does," he said. "What we would do is we bring those and they tend to develop better in a city environment than a county environment."
But residents told Action News Now, "It's not happenin'."
Thermalito residents that are against annexation gathered to discuss their frustrations on the possibility of joining Oroville.
"I don't know," said Cari Erwin, who is against annexation. "The city of Oroville is not incentivizing us as Thermalito residents to be annexed like I don't want to do that."
A Facebook group was created by the people in Thermalito to gather members who are also against the annexation of Thermalito.
So far, it has more than 100 members. Still, the process is so young, it has yet to properly notify city council members, and city management say community reaction is top priority right now.
"That's where it is at this point in time," said DePaola. "We're going to coralate the information we got back and we're going to present it to the city council and they'll make a decision whether they want to move forward or not move forward with the annexation."