PARADISE, Calif. - Loved ones remembered the life of Paradise community leader Philip Allan John on Saturday.
John died recently while participating in a bicycle race in Mendocino County with another family member.
He was born in 1953 and spent his early years in San Francisco.
We have a video of John from his work on the Paradise Fire Safe Council. He was the character Wildfire "Ready" Raccoon and dressed up in the costume for community events. He also wrote a book about fire safety for kids starring, of course, his raccoon character.
John was also a member of the Butte County Planning Commission, Town of Paradise EOC and was a member of the Paradise Rotary.
He worked as a consultant for hospitals nationwide. Locally he participated in theatre and singing, writing, and illustrating and was active with the Northern California Ballet.
Philip Allan John's wife, Michelle John, is the superintendent for the Paradise Unified School District.
John served his country during the Vietnam war and was a decorated veteran.
Hundreds of people came out to celebrate John's life this weekend at the Paradise Performing Arts Center.
Donations may be made in John's memory to the Paradise Fire Safe Council or the Northern California Ballet.
- Community leader Philip John remembered in Paradise
- Paradise community chorus holiday performance
- Music Builds Community in Paradise
- Paradise presents Community Recovery Plan
- Remembering 9/11
- Remembering Cesar Chavez through community service
- Community resource coalition opens in Paradise
- Thousands Gather to Remember John McCain in Arizona
- Paradise leaders discuss fire impacts in Washington D.C.
- Chico community continues to remember North State 9/11 hero