UPDATE: The Chico Bidwell Park and Playground Commission voted 4-0 on no fence around Sycamore Field.
On Monday evening the Chico Bidwell Park and Playground Commission will vote on whether or not to put a fence around part of Sycamore Field. This is something a group of senior softball players is proposing, but many people don't like the idea.
So many are afraid that just by putting up that fence they're going to feel like outsiders and not going to feel welcome, which they say would be a shame because the openness is one of the big things that attracts people, and the field is used for much more than just softball.
Right now the field is leased to the Chico Parks & Rec. District and they lease it to the softball league, which has been asking to make some improvements.
The outfield fence is really what they're after. That would be 6 feet tall, have pass-through sections, and the sides of the field would stay open.
Linda Herman is the Chico Park & Natural Resource Manager and says they do have some concerns.
”Concerns that it would enclose an area that's used by all and not just the softball league.”
Senior soft-ballers said the big reason they want the fence is to provide a boundary for game play.
They say right now, people always walk through the field while their games are going on, which is unsafe both for them and for the people.
They also can’t host tournaments without a fenced-in field, which they say is a shame that they can’t even use their home field for official play.
They’ve thought about possibly putting up a temporary fence, but say that’s a hazard too because the players run the risk of running into it and falling, plus that’s a major inconvenience.
The Bidwell Park and Playground Commission will decide on this issue Monday evening.
- UPDATE: Commission votes no on fence around Sycamore Field
- Trump signs order disbanding voter fraud commission
- Airport Commission to Talk Hanger Upgrade Takeovers
- Redding Planning Commission Approves Cannabis Cultivator
- Cal Fire: ‘County Fire’ Caused by Electric Livestock Fence
- Shasta County United: words of support line fences across county
- Control Burn at Stumps Field
- Parks commission to consider $1 parking fee for Upper Bidwell
- Man Steals Pick-Up Truck, Crashes into Fence and 2 Cows
- Plan calls for fencing of South City Park to deter camping