Photo Gallery 3 Images
Saturday night the climate group Sunrise hosted a national tour event at the El Rey Theater in Chico to kickoff the next phase of the campaign for the Green New Deal. They shared the 10-year mobilization plan designed to address the climate crisis that they say will create millions of jobs.
This event is one of over 250 town halls taking place in churches, classrooms, and union halls across the country for the Road to a Green New Deal tour this spring. The movement is primarily made up of young people working with Rep. Ocasio-Cortez to push the Green New Deal.
The group listened to invited speaker Audrey Denney, a Democrat, who is a candidate for Congress. After Denney spoke Sunrise founder and executive director Varshini Prakash announced that her climate group has endorsed Denney in her bid to win the 1st District seat now held by Republican Doug LaMalfa. Denney is the first endorsement by Sunrise for the 2020 election.
Speakers included Audrey Denney; Varshini Prakash; Camp Fire refugee Mikala Butson; local Sunrise activist Steven Marquardt; and Mechoopda tribal member Ali Meders-Knight.
- Climate group stopped in Chico to push Green New Deal
- Councilmembers release "Chico Green New Deal" policy package
- Bernie Sanders unveils comprehensive $16.3 trillion Green New Deal plan amid climate crisis
- Councilors announce Chico Green New Deal, focus on clean energy 2020
- Chico pushes closer to commercial airline service
- Chico Facebook group recognizes local "Icons"
- 'Chico First' group holds community clean-up
- Chico group helps hungry residents in need
- Chico Group gets Lucky Few Tattoos
- Chico Boy Helps Animal Disaster Group