CHICO, Calif. - The city of Chico recently settled a wrongful death lawsuit for $950,000.
The case involved Chico police officers that shot and killed 19-year-old Breanne Sharpe during a two-mile car chase in 2013.
Investigators say more than one officer fired at Sharpe's car when she reportedly drove toward them. They say she was high on meth at the time.
Sharpe's mother, Mindy Losee, filed a lawsuit saying excessive force was used.
Chico Mayor Randall Stone told Action News Now why the city chose to settle the lawsuit before the trial.
"The entire thing was a terrible incident for everyone involved," Stone said. "That said, we have to evaluate the best course of action that makes the most fiscal and accountable sense."
Mayor Stone would not say what the terms of the settlement were.
Butte County District Attorney Mike Ramsey said a judge must still formally close the case which was scheduled to go to trial in April.
- City of Chico Settles 2013 Wrongful Death Lawsuit
- Family of Stephon Clark Files Wrongful Death Lawsuit
- Shasta County family files wrongful death lawsuit against Redding PD
- Possible Settlement for 2013 Shooting Death of Breanne Sharpe
- Details on Shaun White's settled sexual harassment lawsuit
- Wrongful Death Suit Targets Utility Over Fire
- 2013 Chico Officer-Involved Shooting Case Moves Forward in Appeals Court
- Yuba County Settles Lawsuit to Improve Mental Health Care in Jail
- Chico City Council approvals
- Family files wrongful death suit against Butte County Sheriff's Office