REDDING, Calif. - Someone nearly burned down an apartment building in Redding with a cigarette butt early Saturday morning.
Firefighters saved the apartment and the building by cutting through drywall and siding to get at the flame that were burning in the sub-flooring. There ended up being around $10,000 worth of damage from the fire.
The fire was contained quickly, within approximately ten minutes. There were 14 personnel and five fire engines at the scene. It took around an hour and a half for firefighters to mop up the scene.
Two adults and two kids were inside the room where the apartment fire started. It was close to 3:00 in the morning when it started at the Westside Apartments located at 4660 Westside Road.
The Redding Fire Department says they believe someone was smoking on a patio and the cigarette fell through a crack, lighting up the floor below it.
Redding Fire Department officials said the room in the apartment did have a smoke alarm but the battery had been removed prior to the fire.
Firefighters want people to know that when there is a fire smoke spreads quickly. Working smoke alarms can give people a warning so they can evacuate quickly.
They also said not to forget to test and change your batteries in your smoke alarm every during every time change.
- Cigarette butt to blame for apartment fire
- Butte County Fire
- Cal Fire: Debris Burning Blamed for ‘Oregon Fire’ near Oroville
- Firefighters Contain Apartment Fire in Chico
- Chico Man Helps Tame an Apartment Fire
- Gunshots fired in common area of apartments
- Apartment fire results in arson charges
- Teens and illegal fireworks blamed for brush fire
- Butte Co. Supervisors Discuss Fire Prevention Options
- Butte County Fire Department honors their own