Chico, Calif. -- The Downtown Chico Business Association rang in the Christmas season Friday night.
The 40th annual Community Christmas Tree Lighting ceremony took place in the Downtown Chico Plaza.
More than 1,600 people showed up for the Christmas tree lighting ceremony.
There were appearances from many familiar faces in Chico.
"I like the fact that we get together as a city. To celebrate a cool event, lighting of the Christmas tree," said Mike Wessel, radio host of 103.5 The Blaze.
Our very own Lauren Martinez, Kris Kuyper and James Villalobos were also present.
"I came out here because I'm originally from Massachusetts. It's a great community event to get to know everyone. Know our viewers. Get to see us all together as one," said Villalobos.
In the end, it's not just about celebrating an important Chico tradition.
"It brings people downtown and hopefully they'll eat and come back for the holiday season," said Melanie Bassett, Executive Director of the Downtown Chico Business Association.
"For the first time ever, people were shopping they weren't just looking," said Bassett.
Take advantage of the free parking in Downtown Chico during the holiday season on Fridays. It will be a great place to get your holiday shopping in.
- Christmas tree lighting ceremony brings holiday cheer to Downtown Chico
- Chico Fire ‘Santa’ brings holiday cheer
- Downtown Chico Tree Lighting is tonight
- Downtown Chico Christmas Preview is Sunday
- Christmas business booming in downtown Chico
- Christmas Tree Disposal
- 36th Annual lighted Christmas Parade in downtown Redding
- National Christmas tree shortage causes price hike this holiday season
- Tracking California's 2019 Christmas tree
- Pluto's Downtown Chico Closing