CHICO, Calif. - Congressman Doug LaMalfa has nominated 15 local students as candidates to the United States Service Academies.
Four of the students are from Chico and two of them grew up together and applied to the same academies.
Hunter Dougherty, a senior at Chico High, applied to the Air Force and Navy.
The senior participates on the cross country and track teams and has completed the highest accomplishment as a Boy Scout, getting his Eagle ranking.
But, he says, his love for wanting to serve the country comes from his family. Like his dad, for example, who restores World War 2 vehicles.
"And he has always just provided a source of information, on just endless information on the wars and our military and what not," he said.
Dougherty said his grandfather was an anti-air gunner during World War 2.
Another nominated student is Dougherty's friend from Notre Dame Catholic School, Anika Stickney.
Stickney also got a nomination letter from Congressman Doug LaMalfa for applications to both the Air Force and Navy.
A senior at Mercy High School in Red Bluff, she competes in both cross country and basketball.
The student council treasurer is also vice president of her key club, president of Alpha Theta Honor Society and does community service.
Stickney says students had to do an interview in front of a panel to get the congressional nomination.
"The application process is daunting, just to the academies," said Stickney. "Then having to go through the nomination application was really challenging, but I am relieved and super excited, I am honestly honored to be nominated by him."
Both Stickney and Dougherty added they are proud of one another for getting this far in the process.
LaMalfa's nominees also include two students from Redding, one from Durham and one from Quincy.
- Childhood friends make Congressman LaMalfa's military nomination list
- Congressman LaMalfa responds to gov’t shutdown
- One-on-one with Congressman Doug LaMalfa
- Congressman LaMalfa Reacts to Aanestad's Death
- Congressman LaMalfa speaks on coronavirus stimulus package
- Congressman Doug LaMalfa reacts to State of the Union Address
- Congressman LaMalfa Responds to President's Threat to Withhold FEMA Funding
- Congressman Doug LaMalfa introduces High-Speed Refund Act
- Congressman Doug LaMalfa discusses gun control, mass-shootings in America
- Congressman LaMalfa announces legislation to defund needle programs