CHICO, Calif. - Chico's annual free outdoor theater, music and arts festival known as The Butcher Shop is getting a fresh angle this year.
The Butcher Shop 2019 includes the tag "The Director's Cut" and is scheduled for Labor Day weekend, Aug. 31 and Sept. 1.
This year’s show, “The Director’s Cut,” follows film director Julia DiFranco as she sacrifices everything to release her epic sci-fi masterpiece “Return to Eden,” while her nemesis, Hollywood mogul Franz Fontana, crushes everyone in his path to control the future of American entertainment.
The production is a free outdoor festival of original music, plays, film, art and dance at 2500 Estes Road in Chico.
Doors open at 6 p.m. each night with bar, food trucks, live music and more, and the show begins at 8 p.m.
Festival-goers are encouraged to bring blankets and low-backed chairs as limited seating is available. Limited reserved seating is available with a VIP ticket. For information on reserved seating, click here.
Bicycling and walking are encouraged; car parking is available for $10. No dogs are allowed.
The Butcher Shop is a popular community event that began as a backyard show 30 years ago. Grown out of Chico’s homegrown theatrical and musical talent, the Butcher Shop is now produced by Slow Theatre in an almond orchard under the stars near downtown Chico.
Known for its captivating visuals, avant-garde style and off-beat humor, The Butcher Shop is a dramatic spectacle of original theatre, music and art. Dozens of writers, artists, actors, musicians and technicians come together to produce an experience that audiences have called “magical,” “awesome,” and “the real deal—cult classic entertainment.”
- Chico's free theater, music and art festival announces 2019 'theme'
- Chico Residents Rejuvenate at Healing Arts Festival
- Chico Creatives Perform Theater, Music and Dance For Free at Butcher Shop Event
- Free gospel music workshop in Chico
- Redding Civic Auditorium 2-day Music Festival Announces Lineup
- Asphalt Cowboys 2018 parade theme winner announced
- New Art Festival Coming to Chico in September
- Sunny Skies for Wildflower Music Festival Saturday
- Wildflower Music Festival planned for May 4
- 2019 Champions of the Arts Celebration is Thursday in Chico