CHICO, Calif. - A woman is recovering after being hit by a train in Chico on Sunday afternoon.
She was hit at the railroad crossing off of W. 8th Avenue and Highway 32.
Witnesses at the scene said that the woman was on the train tracks before she was hit.
"We don't know any details about why the person was on the tracks," said Wes Metroka, division chief for the Chico Fire Department. "From what witnesses said, the person stood up to get off the tracks but it sounds like they didn't get far enough away from the track."
Metroka said the woman was not able to get far enough away from the tracks before the train arrived.
"The train takes up a lot more space than just the track width, so they got clipped from the side," he said.
Authorities said she was conscious when she was transported to the hospital.
- Chico woman recovering after being hit by train
- Woman hit by train in Redding
- Woman Killed By Train in Chico
- Anderson woman gets hit by a train, faces charges
- Woman hit by train in Anderson now facing charges
- ICYMI: Chico Woman Who Was Set on Fire is Recovering; Husband Arrested
- Bomb Threat Hoax Hits Chico
- Utah Sergeant Recovering After Being hit by Car
- Chico minor recovered in major FBI child trafficking bust
- Man recovering from stabbing attack in downtown Chico