Chico, Calif. -- A Chico organization working hard for the homeless community needs help.
Safe Space is a low-barrier winter shelter looking for volunteers to continue operations.
"If we didn't have them, in this cold weather, a lot of us wouldn't make it," said Karrla Knight, a guest at Safe Space.
During the cold winter months in Chico, volunteers work hard to make a safe space for the homeless.
"As long as people behave, we're willing to take them in and we try to make sure they'll be warm during what we think will be the coldest time," said Rick Narad, Shelter Operations Manager at Safe Space.
There's been an increase in elderly, disabled people at the shelter this year.
"Last week we had six children including an 8 month old baby sleeping here," said Narad.
The shelter provides housing and dinner for guests, on average housing 61 guests per night.
"In some ways it's very satisfying because you're providing a service, but it's also very sad," said Narad.
And now a place that extends its hand to the community, is asking for a favor in return.
"This week we started looking at the projections for who signed up the next two weeks and realized we may not be able to operate if we didn't get enough volunteers," said Narad.
"Definitely the late night shifts have been difficult thing to cover, so there have been lots of time where volunteers have to stay the whole night through," said Quintin Troester, a volunteer at Safe Space.
Safe space volunteers work in rotating shifts ranging from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.
"I think my favorite part is talking with the guests, hearing their stories," said Narad.
Each guest customizes his or her space, making their corner of the room feel just a little more like home.
"They keep it to where it's a warm comforting environment, a place to sleep," said Knight.
If you would like to become a volunteer, you can find more information here.
- Chico shelter asking for help from community, looking for volunteers
- Chico community watch volunteers clean trash
- Chico Animal Shelter
- Chico Declares Shelter Crisis
- Chico community members resolve air conditioning issues for shelter animals
- Chico Animal Shelter closed for staff training
- Chico City Council to Talk Emergency Shelters
- Safe Space winter shelters close in Chico
- Gratitude Gala to benefit Torres Community Shelter
- Volunteers Working to Get Remaining Evacuees at Walmart to Shelters