CHICO, Calif. - The City of Chico is growing every day and that means the infrastructure needs to grow with it.
On Monday, crews will start putting in a half-mile long sewer pipe in North Chico. The plan is for the pipe to eventually replace all the septic tanks in the area.
"This is also part of an extension that will serve the future development north of mud creek," said Brendan Ottoboni, public works director of engineering.
The project runs between Leora Court and Mudcreek down the Esplanade.
That means people like Joe Knapp, who live there might have to deal with noise and traffic.
"It's going to be so much more noise I mean its not so bad living across the street from a concrete plant. They have hours you know when they're going to run," said Knapp.
But others say they don't mind.
"I don't mind I moved from San Jose so when I came here I thought I was living in the boonies. They started building all this and it kind of felt more like home like a city instead of just a little town," said Michelle Rutherford, a woman who lives on the Esplanade.
And there are plenty of people interested in developing there… including Courtesy Motors and the Butte Humane Society.
"In order to develop a parcel you have to have sewer there to connect to the sewer. So if you're developing in that area and we don't have sewer the cost of development becomes much higher because the developer has the responsibility of running it those long ways," said Ottoboni.
Jeff West says his physically challenged wife would benefit from having businesses around.
"Actually for us, it's a good idea. being more convenient because of a vision medical issue my wife is dealing with. it would make it a lot more convenient for her. so we're looking forward to it if it comes into fruition," said West.
The sewer project is set to begin Monday, August 26.
Public works advise drivers there will be traffic delays in the area of the Esplanade between Mud Creek and Leora Court.
- Chico sewer project to run along North Esplanade
- GOP Establishes New Headquarters in Chico's Esplanade
- Storm Sewer Project Expected to Cause Traffic Delays in Chico
- Sewer project set to impact traffic in northwest Chico
- New Traffic System for First Responders on Chico's Esplanade
- Major road improvements are coming to the Esplanade in Chico
- Esplanade water tower slated to come down
- Roundabout project proposed in north Chico
- Major Sewer Project Gets Underway in Redding, Could Cause Delays
- Sewer Project Closes Parts of Churn Creek Road in Redding