Photo Gallery 4 Images
CHICO, Calif. - People in Chico are furious about a pile of trash at City Plaza.
"It's an essential part of downtown we want to make sure that it's as welcoming and as inviting to anybody," Tompkins said.
Operations Manager for Chico's Downtown Ambassador Program Brendon Tompkins says it feels like an uphill battle against the growing mounds of trash the past six months.
"It's a constant battle we'll spend all day here and several hours cleaning here and the next day its back to where it was
Tompkins said Wednesday morning's garbage pile was the worst he's seen here," he said. "I mean we pick up trash everywhere we probably average seven to eight bags of trash a day."
"I rarely see homeless people picking up their mess theres usually a mess wherever they are they're not worried about it cause theres ambassadors that come up behind them so they figure we're creating jobs for people as well," Alan who is homeless said.
"It's not just about people being frustrated with trash and not feeling safe I mean it's not safe for them either," Teri Dubose said.
Teri Dubose owns a business right near city plaza. She told Action News Now the trash pile filled with propane tanks, food, clothes scattered around just popped up over night.
Dubose says crews from the sheriff's department cleaned up Wednesday's messy mounds.
"It's gotten beyond frustrating for me I really havent been coming over much and I think a lot of people feel the same way," she said.
- Chico residents furious over trash at City Plaza
- Chico residents outraged with trash overflow
- Chico Police Searching for Suspect in City Plaza Assault
- Abortion rights advocates rally in Chico City Plaza
- Chico police arrest 2 transient men during fight in Chico city plaza
- Chico Ramada Plaza Collects Money for Carr Fire Relief Efforts
- Citizen volunteers tackle trash in Chico
- Chico community watch volunteers clean trash
- Dozens gather at Chico City Plaza to honor lives lost in Camp Fire
- Chico City leaders, residents gather for State of the City