LOS ANGELES, Calif. - A man suspected of raping a woman in Chico in March was arrested in Los Angeles last Thursday.
On March 9, the Chico Police Department received a report from a woman that she was forcibly raped in the area of W. 20th and Broadway Streets.
She said she was walking in that area and was grabbed by a man. She said the suspect forced her to the ground and sexually assaulted her.
The victim described the man as a black, adult male approximately 28-34 years of age with shoulder-length dreadlocks.
Detectives found DNA evidence at the scene of the crime, which was submitted to the California Department of Justice.
On Monday, April 22, detectives received a report from the department with DNA results, which identified Ishmael Smith, 34, as a potential suspect. Detectives obtained an arrest warrant for Smith based on that information.
On Thursday, April 25, Smith was located and arrested in Los Angeles.
The Chico Police Department said it does not have any prior contacts or arrests with Smith. Authority records indicate that Smith is from Los Angeles, but was a transient while in Chico.
Smith will be extradited back to Butte County for prosecution.
- Chico rape suspect arrested in Los Angeles
- Los Angeles police arrest man after fatal music studio fire
- Woman arrested in Los Angeles-area beating of elderly man
- Deputies arrest serial rape suspect in Oroville
- Los Angeles police officers deliver baby
- Caught on camera: Los Angeles purse snatcher
- Pro-life rally held in Los Angeles
- Harvey Weinstein statement art in Los Angeles
- Chico High Burglary Suspect Arrested
- Chico Police Arrest Shooting Suspects