Chico, Calif. -- A major uphaul and redesign of school property is underway in Chico.
The Chico Unified School District approved a $26 million project to uphaul and redesign Loma Vista Preschool and Marigold Elementary School.
"It's going to be a game changer for instruction. We're going to get new technology, new furniture. We have a lot of portables that are many years old, a lot of things that are starting to fall apart," said Shawneese Heath, Principal of Marigold Elementary School.
For Marigold Elementary, the center of the campus will be demolished and construction will start next fall.
"They'll be able to start on a brand new building, this will be the multi purpose room, new kitchen all in Unit A," said Heath.
8 new classrooms will be taken down and rebuilt during the summer.
Construction started about one week ago at the Loma Vista property.
"They're building us a brand new campus from the ground up right behind us so we get to stay in our current school site until they're done building," said Jeana Peyton, Assistant Principal at Loma Vista Preschool.
Construction for the new school building is expected to be finished by next year.
"We'll even be moving to the side street on Manzanita so the front of our building will be out to Manzanita Street," said Peyton.
The new design will incorporate natural lighting and sound buffers in the ceiling.
"It's going to be a really amazing upgrade, we'll have a kitchen, and better staff room and more room for our files," said Peyton.
- Chico preschool and Chico elementary school to undergo reconstruction
- Lockdown at Chico elementary school
- Chico Nissan Hyundai Undergoing Major Renovations
- UPDATE: Chico Police clear Chapman Elementary School
- Man Breaks Into Chico Preschool and Steals Computers, Cereal
- Chico elementary school students take a lesson in Tai Chi
- Chico Unified to change boundary lines for some elementary schools
- New elementary school on the horizon for Chico
- Chapman Elementary School Garden
- Chico Police: NO Threat to Chico High School