We often hear people say Chico isn't what it used to be, and many people we speak with say they don't feel nearly as safe as they did five or ten years ago.
Well, according to a report by USA Today, recently released FBI numbers show that violent crime has increased by about 36% in Chico in the 5-year period between 2011 and 2016.
This is talking about violent crimes only, so things like aggravated assault, robbery, rape, and murder.
According to the report, that almost 36 % increase is the third largest in any metro area in California and one of the largest in the country: Chico was number 19 out of the top 25 cities where crime is soaring.
The causes for the increases vary; in some cases the increases are based on a major year-over-year spike, while in others it's because of a steady climb over the 5-year period.
However, Chico police say these stats aren't correct and are contesting them, saying those are stats for all of Butte County and not just Chico. The chief will prepare his own list and numbers, and we should have that within the next couple of days.
Also, according to Neighborhoodscout.com, a website we mentioned when we talked about the crime rates in Redding, Chico is safer than only 8% of all U.S. cities.
Other stories about Chico crime: http://www.actionnewsnow.com/search/?site_search=chico+crime
Neighborhood Scout article: https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ca/chico/crime
- Chico police dispute recent violent crime statistics
- Chico police release 2017 crime statistics
- Chico Police following up on violent crimes
- Violent Crime in Redding
- Chico State Crime Statistics Show Increase in Rape Reports
- Violent Crime rise in Chico higher than expected
- FBI reports decline in violent crime, Chico numbers also down
- Chico Police Investigating Crime Spree
- Police: Saturday Armed Robbery Similar in MO to Recent Chico Crimes
- Chico Police Department conducts crime sweep