CHICO, Calif. - Chico Police Officers arrested a man after he stabbed and struck a victim with a metal pipe near the Jesus Center in Chico on Wednesday.
Chico Police Officers responded to a reported stabbing at the Jesus Center at 1297 Park Ave. on Wednesday, Dec. 4.
When officers arrived on the scene they contacted the victim, a 48-year-old Chico resident who was inside the Jesus Center. The suspect who was identified as 50-year-old Jesse Vincent Paiz, had left the scene in a small Toyota pickup.
Through investigation, it was revealed that Paiz and the victim had been having on-going problems, officers said.
On Wednesday, the victim was standing on 13th street, east of Park Ave., when Paiz arrived. He exited his Toyota pickup with a knife in his hand and confronted the victim, officers said.
Paiz then tried stabbing the victim several times. The victim attempted to defend himself, but was stabbed in the upper arm and struck with a metal pipe, officers said.
After Paiz stabbed the victim, he fled the area in his truck. However, officers located him shortly after in the area of 5th and Wall Streets where he was reported to be asking for an ambulance.
The victim and Paiz were both transported to a local hospital due to their injuries. The victim sustained a non-life-threatening stab wound. Paiz sustained a lung injury, fractured ribs, and a laceration to his hand.
Officers said both are in stable condition.
Paiz is in police custody and will be charged with assault with a deadly weapon.
At this time officers said they will not release a photo of Paiz due to his current status in the hospital.
Action News Now will update this article when a photo becomes available.
- Chico police arrest man after stabbing near Jesus Center
- Neighbors: Jesus Center Out-Of-Compliance, Jesus Center Disagrees
- Chico activates emergency warming center at Jesus Center, Nov. 28
- Chico Police: Man Arrested for Stabbing Neighbor
- Stabbing at Chico Transit Center
- Chico City Council approves concept to relocate Jesus Center
- Jesus Center in Chico halt plans to relocate for now
- Chico City Council Paves Way for Jesus Center Move
- Jesus Center withdraws from low-barrier shelter project in Chico
- Jesus Center Relocation Still a Possiblility