Photo Gallery 1 Images
CHICO, Calif- On Nov. 29, Chico Police Department received reports of a shooting at a birthday party in the 600 block of W. 1st Avenue around 5:18 p.m.
Officials say witnesses at the party identified the suspect as Gilberto Corona, who fled the scene in a vehicle.
Officers found the 32-year-old on Nord Avenue and a traffic stop was conducted, leading officers to find a loaded, unregistered 9mm handgun.
The handgun was the fifth unregistered, non-serialized, privately manufactured firearm confiscated from a person prohibited from possessing firearms in a little over a week, according to officials.
Also during the search, officials say they found methamphetamine, instruments associated with the sale of controlled substances, and counterfeit currency in the vehicle.
Officials say Corona had an unrelated felony no-bail Post-Release Community Supervision warrant for his arrest.
Corona was arrested and officials found additional controlled substances on him during a search at the Chico PD Detention Facility.
Officials were able to confirm no injuries occurred during the incident.
Anyone with additional information regarding the incident is encouraged to contact the Chico Police Department at (530) 897-4911.
Officials say Corona was booked for the following charges;
- Felon in Possession of a Firearm
- Felon in Possession of Ammunition
- Discharge of a Firearm in a Grossly Negligent Manner
- Possession of Controlled Substances While Armed with a Loaded Firearm
- Transportation of Controlled Substance for Sales
- Carrying a Concealed Weapon in a Vehicle
- Willful Cruelty to a Child
- Possession of Counterfeit Currency
- Possession of a Controlled Substance Inside a Jail Facility