CHICO, Calif. -- A Chico liquor store owner said he's seen a spike in fake IDs, 23 to be exact, in the past week alone.
"Puts a lot of stress on us," said Pawan Pabbi, the owner of Star Liquors.
23 fake ids is the latest and the highest number of fake IDs Pabbi said he's collected recently in just one week.
"I tell them, I give them the option, I say this is a fake ID and if you think this is a real ID let's call the police, they can come verify it," Paabi said.
Paabi along with other liquor shop owners told us they average about 3 to 4 fake IDs a week and that 23 is highly unusual.
"One mistake, you know, costs you $20,000 or $50,000," Paabi said.
It also costs possibly endangering someone underage, said Chico Police Commander Billy Aldridge.
"The consequences on your life thereafter, poor decisions that were made starting with that use of a fake ID," Commander Aldridge said.
Commander Aldridge said this is an alarming trend.
"I've not heard of that many being confiscated in my entire career," Commander Aldridge said.
One Chico State student we spoke with said the numbers don't surprise her.
"I think because it's so easy to access online go and get a fake ID, I think that's why kids think they can get away with it," said Brianna Torralba, a Chico State student.
Paabi said typically he takes the fake IDs and sends customers on their way, but next time he sees a fake ID he's calling the police.
- Chico liquor store collects 23 fake IDs in one week
- Chico police arrest 3 after confrontation near Ray's Liquor
- Ide Adobe Restoration
- Woman missing for 23 years seen in Chico
- Collectives working hard to postpone Chico pot ban
- Chico City Council to Discuss Collecting Taxes from Airbnb
- Chico Ramada Plaza Collects Money for Carr Fire Relief Efforts
- Santa is collecting school supplies at the Chico Mall
- New Salvation Army store opening in Chico
- Witness Reacts to Chico Convenience Store Attack