CHICO, Calif. - The Chico Noon Rotary Club and the Chico Theatre Group have designed a proposed amphitheater in Lower Bidwell Park.
According to the groups' plans, the amphitheater would be built in the Cedar Grove area of Lower Bidwell Park.
The theatre would seat around 300-500 people and its estimated cost is around $15,000.
The groups said they chose this location because of the history behind it from the 1990s.
"That location has been the sight of Theater in the Park [and] Shakespeare in the Park," said Tom Snyder Lando, a member of the Chico Noon Rotary Club. "They've done it a number of years where they had to set the stage up and take it down. The Endangered Species Fair is there. We thought they would like a stage."
However, Lando said the perspective behind using the location isn't shared by everyone.
The club brought the idea to the Bidwell Park and Playground Commission who said they liked the idea but weren't in favor of the location for the amphitheater.
The board said Cedar Grove is one of the few open meadows available in the park.
Lando said the club might look for other locations, or they might move forward with a different project.
Ultimately, the group hopes that the project they develop will be completely accepted by the community.
The club is celebrating 100 years in 2020.
- Chico groups propose $150K amphitheater plan for Lower Bidwell Park
- Lower Bidwell Park's fire danger
- Volunteer group consistently cleans up Bidwell Park
- Bidwell Park rehab walkers
- Chico Police searching for suspect in stabbing at Lower Bidwell Park
- Changes for Bidwell Park Barbecuers
- Bidwell Bark filled the park
- Veterans walk in Bidwell Park
- Bidwell Bark Tomorrow in Chico
- State Parks cleans up Big Chico Creek along Bidwell Mansion