Students at Citrus Elementary School in Chico had an unusual lesson this afternoon.
Martial arts grandmaster Farshad Azad spent about 45 minutes teaching 4th and 5th graders the art of Tai Chi.
The school's counselor has been working with the students all year teaching them to be mindful of each other and less self-centered.
In today's exercise the kids learned movements and breathing techniques in what's called the slowest of all the martial arts.
Azad says he would like to do more lessons like this in the future.
He said his goal is to create some sort of a sustainable program where the kids would benefit from very simple things that are within their grasp, within their cognitive realization, so they can change the course of their life.
After the lesson Azad spent time showing the kids other forms of martial arts and had a question and answer time.
- Chico elementary school students take a lesson in Tai Chi
- Lockdown at Chico elementary school
- Cook Off Offers Chico Residents CPR Lessons
- Students get life-saving lesson after recent school shootings
- UPDATE: Chico Police clear Chapman Elementary School
- Chico preschool and Chico elementary school to undergo reconstruction
- Chapman Elementary School Garden
- Little Chico Creek Elementary students recognized for outstanding citizenship
- Chico Unified to change boundary lines for some elementary schools
- New elementary school on the horizon for Chico