Dozens gathered on Sunday to honor the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in Chico.
This is the 36th year for the event and this year's theme was "unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word.”
The day began with performances by local groups at the city plaza, which organizers said they saw as an opportunity to promote Dr. King's message of love and acceptance, and to inspire the youth.
The group then marched through downtown Chico and made its way to the Trinity United Methodist Church for a talk by keynote speaker Lesa Johnson, a sociology professor at Chico State.
Vince Haney is on the board of the M.L.K unity group and tells Action News Now why it's so important to make sure this event comes back year after year.
"I believe love, and all the hate going on in the world and America, I believe love is going to triumph and love is going to have the final word, I truly believe that,” Haney said.
The event will end with a free community dinner that starts at 5:30 p.m. Sunday at the church on Fifth and Flume Street.
- Chico community celebrates life of Dr. MLK Jr.
- Chico's 37th Annual Celebration of the Life of MLK Jr. Held Sunday
- Chico Celebration of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. is Sunday
- Chico’s 36th annual celebration of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- New Tree Grove Memorial Near DTLA Made for Dr. MLK Jr.
- VIDEO: Redding is Celebrating 50 Year Anniversary of MLK Jr. Center
- Community Christmas Celebration in Chico Today
- Chico Residents Gather to Honor MLK's Legacy
- Chico Mayor unveils "Community Court"
- Remembering Dr. Martin Luther King