A fire in central Chico could have been much worse Wednesday afternoon.
Firefighters say the fire is a good reminder to be careful about what you put in the fireplace and wood stove.
James Husband says he's lived in this house on Oak Drive since 1971 and this is his second chimney fire.
James Husband said, “I had some old oak barrels that I decided to cut them up to burn them for firewood, stuck a bunch in the wood stove to get it going, then I went next door to help a neighbor, and next thing I know, boy it was just boiling out smoke.”
Husband put the flames out himself by climbing on the roof and using his garden hose to spray water down the chimney.
Chico firefighters say there was no damage to the home or the attic.
They say this time of year, people might be tempted to throw trash like wrapping paper or dried Christmas trees in the fireplace or wood stove, which can create a fire hazard.
They say it's best to just throw everything in the trash.
- Chico chimney fire could have been a lot worse
- No Set Deadline for Fire Evacuees to Leave Chico Walmart Parking Lot
- Chico Fire Department's return from Thomas Fire
- Chico Fire Department Citizens' Fire Academy
- Chico Police say road rage suspected tried to run over officers in Police Department parking lot
- Man Assaults Cell Phone Recording Woman near Chico ‘Big Lots’: CPD
- Paradise UPS Delivering Box Holders Mail In Chico Barnes & Noble Parking Lot
- Chico Fire ‘Santa’ brings holiday cheer
- Chico City Council appoints new fire chief
- Shots fired into Chico suburban home