CHICO, Calif. - The Chico Library is seeing a lot more people using the library since the Camp Fire ripped through Paradise in November.
The exact numbers aren't in, but Chico Librarian Ashley Cane says the fire has had a huge impact on them.
There are more visitors and circulation is up. The Chico Library has been happy to accommodate their Paradise neighbors and Paradise is reciprocating. Some volunteers from the Paradise Library are now volunteering at the Chico Library.
The Paradise Library withstood the flames, but there was heavy smoke damage inside and burned trees surrounding the property on Clark Road.
The trees are a big issue now for the library. Many hazardous trees need to come down and a permanent fence must go up for safety reason. The cost of the fence is $58,000. A grant will pay a portion of it, but there is still a balance of $31,000.
Library officials are hoping to open a mini branch with some technology, but that can't happen until the fence is built.
In the meantime, the Chico Library has a great list of summer programs for Chico and Paradise children to enjoy. Cane says they'll have an escape room this summer, scavenger Hunt, Lock In pizza party, costume making and animal story time, among other programs.
The summer program kicks off on June 1 and runs through July 31, 2019. There is a complete list on the Butte County Library Website and click on services, then youth services.
The summer programs are funded by Chico Friends of the Library(CFOL). The CFOL board is a great supporter of the library. If you are interested in helping your local library or becoming a board member there is always a need for more volunteers, just go to email@example.com for more information.
- Chico and Paradise Libraries team up after Camp Fire
- Paradise High School Survives Camp Fire
- Paradise Man Records Escape from Camp Fire
- Paradise Sign Salvaged After Camp Fire
- Paradise Post Office Reopens After Camp Fire
- Paradise Ice Rink Opens After Camp Fire
- Camp Fire Memorial Was Held in Paradise
- Rebuilding Paradise after the Camp Fire
- Paradise principal moving on after Camp Fire
- Paradise schools consolidate after Camp Fire