Chico teen Michael Ing is a star in the local sprint car scene, and starting Wednesday he races in qualifiers that will pit him against, we're told, some of the best sprint car drivers in the nation.
Action News Now reporter Stephanie Lin caught up with Ing and his father at their auto shop today, as they got ready for Wednesday's race. We learned that Michael is no stranger to the racetrack; in fact, he's been involved with the sport since the age of four!
Fast forward to today, and the 19-year-old has graduated from dirt bikes and go-karts to sprint cars.
"When you're in the seat, ready to push off, every other worry goes out of your head," Ing explains, "All you have to worry about to survive and do your best with 900 horsepower under your feet."
We're told that it takes 40 hours of prep time per week for every race. Michael says that he runs 4 miles every other day, and trains on a virtual reality car simulator to stay in shape and on top of the competition.
We wish Michael and his team all the best of luck at the races.
- Chico Teen Goes for gold at Silver Dollar Speedway
- Mini Gold Cup Series returns to Silver Dollar Speedway
- Preparations for Fourth of July Fireworks Show at Silver Dollar Speedway
- Chico Silver Dollar Fairgrounds Opens Up as New Evacuation Shelter
- Silver Dollar Fair Opens On Thursday
- Opening day for Silver Dollar Fair
- Livestock Competition at Silver Dollar Fair
- Free healthcare coming to Silver Dollar Fairgrounds
- Fireworks show takes place at Silver Dollar Fairgrounds
- Chico teen missing