CONCOW, Calif. - Chico State students came out Saturday to help clean up a community garden in a Concow campground, it's been nearly a year since it was destroyed by the Camp Fire.
"Today is new life in Concow," said Jenny Lowery.
On Saturday Mackenzie Champion and other chico state students went to work restoring a Concow community garden destroyed in the Camp Fire.
Mackenzie is a member of CAVE - community action volunteers in education.
"I joined CAVE because I was freshman year and I didn't have a lot of friends. I thought it was a great opportunity to meet people but it turned it to be a much bigger thing I love giving back to the community," Champion said.
They pruned burned trees, pulled weeds and raked brush - hoping to help restore the garden to its former glory.
Jenny Lowery is a member of the nonprofit "From the Ground Up Farms."
"They work so hard they've come to community gardens and in 2 hours transformed it completely and the cave group is amazing. this is the biggest project we've done with them yet," Lowery said.
"After the Camp Fire it was just like I went home and it didn't really affect me and I think being here and being at school it's just like we have to do our part because they're giving so much to us by letting us go to school here," Champion said.
"I've learned a lot of stuff. we're learning that these blackberries are very invasive to grow food and its very important for the city of Concow to have food to grow and sustain themselves," said Zoe Atava, a volunteer from CAVE.
"They're hard working they're resilient, they're going to make it, they're self-sustaining. we're rebuilding all over Concow," Lowery said.
Lowery adds that Saturday’s cleanup would not be possible without the help of companies like Recology, Johnny on the Spot and New Earth Market.
- Chico State students volunteer to clean Concow campground that was destroyed by Camp Fire
- Concow Mobile Home Destroyed by Fire
- Concow Home Destroyed, Nearby Vegetation Contained Quickly
- Volunteers plant trees along ridge in Concow
- Concow Mobile Home Destroyed, Vegetation Fire Quickly Contained
- Chico community watch volunteers clean trash
- Volunteers working to replace Paradise sign destroyed in Camp Fire
- Camp Fire Clean-up Options
- VIDEO: A Look at Concow After the Camp Fire
- Concow woman helps reunite animals with owners after Camp Fire