CHICO, Calif.- A Chico State professor is under investigation for alleged misuse of university funds, according to a 15-page report issued by the Chancellor’s office.
It states an investigation was launched into accounting professor Curtis Deberg in 2018.
The chancellor’s office recently wrapped up that investigation in November of 2019.
University officials say it began after different departments at the university began to identify unusual activities regarding the professor's non-profit organization called “Sage Global.”
They say the professor faced allegations claiming he had used the campus name, facilities and other resources inappropriately, that he had a conflict of interest due to his multiple roles on campus, and had used thousands of university funds inappropriately.
Students who know the professor say they’re shocked at the claims.
Chico State student, Jennifer Brissenden, knows Professor Deberg, she says, "I think Curtis is a good man he is a good accounting professor, considering accounting is very difficult."
Provost and Vice President of Chico State Academic Affairs, Debra Larson, says, "This investigation has triggered his rights as part of the California Faculty Association and we are working with Professor Deberg in that space but there is still quite a bit of discussion going on."
The university says Professor Deberg is currently still employed and is on sabbatical.
They say is expected to continue teaching in August of 2020.
However, they say his non-profit organization, "Sage Global" is not active anymore.
Action News Now has reached out to Deberg for a statement, but have not heard back.
View the full investigation report below:
- Chico State professor under investigation for alleged misuse of university funds
- Chico State professor under fire for tweets
- University police investigating hate crime reported at Chico State
- Chico State professor shares new year's travel tips
- Jury finds man guilty for assault of Chico State professor
- Chico State University Farm Plant Sale
- Chico State University Speaks on "Consent"
- Measles Case at Chico State University
- People in the United States are misusing antibiotics, study says
- California State University Chico receives funding for Forest Therapy for Community Recovery Project