Chico Calif.—Today is a challenging time for news and journalism, and for those who gather news it can often make one question is this the career for me.
Chico State and its student run newspaper is celebrating recent recognition for top notch journalism skills.
The newspaper and several staff members recently picked up a host of state wide journalism awards.
The California College Media Association has named the Orion as the state’s best large school newspaper. The category is for schools with 10,000 students or more.
Chico State was in competition with schools throughout California.
The newspaper has a weekly print and online publication.
The publication received first place nods for best overall newspaper design, best inside page design, and best sales promotion details, as well as other numerous mentions.
Editor in Chief Kayla Fitzgerald has been with the Orion for two and a half years.
She is proud of her team of journalists, and believes many of her generation have a strong desire to purse journalism as a career.
The Orion has launched the careers of many professional journalist, several have even won the Pulitzer Prize one of the highest honors in journalism.
- Chico State Orion Newspaper Wins Top Honors
- Sustainability a Top Honor at Chico State
- UPDATE: Gridley's 2 Competing Newspapers
- Chico State Students Honor Cesar Chavez
- Chico State Lecturer Wins Cybersecurity Award
- Owners Close Long Time Gridley Newspaper
- Fallen firefighter honored in Chico
- Chico muralist honored by city
- White House Lowers Flag in Honor of Maryland Newspaper Shooting Victims
- Chico State Named in Top Ten of Most Sustainable Universities