UPDATE 7:49 A.M. Tuesday, April 30, 2019 - Chico police said a man is now behind bars in Butte County Jail for making criminal threats at Enloe Medical Center Monday evening.
Officers said Russell Niewald ran through Enloe Medical Center on Monday around 7:35 p.m. carrying a duffel bag, saying that he had a gun.
Witnesses saw Niewald jump out of a window and directed officers to his location.
Police said he resisted arrest and threatened officers as they took him into custody near the intersection of W. 6th Avenue and the Esplanade.
Officers canvassed the area, but a firearm was never located.
UPDATE 8:21 P.M. Monday, April 29, 2019 - Police said Enloe Medical Center is no longer under lockdown.
Police are currently assessing the suspect's mental health.
No firearm was found on the suspect.
CHICO, Calif. - Authorities said a man walked into Enloe Medical Center's lobby and said that he had a gun.
He then fled the lobby and hid as officers arrived on the scene.
The threat prompted officers to lock down the hospital.
We have a reporter on the scene who said the man is in police custody.
Stay with Action News Now for the latest updates as they become available.
- Man arrested for making threats at Enloe Medical Center
- Enloe Medical Center Plans Expansion
- Enloe Medical Center Debuts 'Wall of Hope'
- Enloe Medical Center Free Flu Vaccinations
- Cyber attack on Enloe Medical Center
- Former Enloe Medical Center Nurse Sentenced After Patient Death
- Contract Extended Between Enloe Medical Center and Anthem Blue Cross
- Enloe Medical Center and Anthem Blue Cross Extend Contract
- 700 participate in Enloe Medical Center's Heart & Sole run
- Enloe Medical Center and Anthem Blue Cross reach contract agreement