UPDATE – The man shot early Thursday morning near West First Avenue and Mechoopda Street has died after being transported to Enloe Medical Center in Chico.
According to Chico police, the man killed has been identified as John Dawson, 47, he died after being shot and found lying on a roadway at around 4:30 a.m.
The case is being described as a homicide and the investigation is ongoing.
There is no information about any arrests or leads in the case.
Police are asking the public for info about the incident.
Chico, Calif.-- Police are looking for a suspect or suspects connected to a man being shot near West First Avenue between the areas of Mechoopda Street and North Cedar Street in Chico Thursday morning.
The call came in at about 4:30 a.m.; the victim's girlfriend alerted 9-1-1 that her boyfriend was shot.
The victim was taken to an area hospital, according to Chico Police Officer Ben Love.
Love says they're not ready to release the name of the victim, and would not get into any potential suspects.
Neighbors, however, report officers knocking on doors in the area, asking for any information in finding the shooter.
The detective on scene taped off the area and it is expected to remain closed through the morning as the investigation continues.
A police volunteer were called out to man the road closure.
- 1 Killed in West 1st Avenue Shooting, Victim ID'd
- 2 Colorado soldiers ID'd as victims of California crash
- Traffic Alert: rollover crash on 1st Avenue and Neal Dow
- Fallen Firefighter from Mendocino-Complex Fire ID'd
- Traffic Alert: Kennedy Avenue
- TRAFFIC ALERT: Multiple Incidents at East 1st Avenue and Highway 99
- Stockton Man ID'd as Dead Gunman in Tehama County Deputy-Involved Shooting
- RPD: Decomposed Body ID'd as Missing Redding Man
- Motorcycle Crashes on Mangrove Avenue
- Still no suspect after a shooting near Burnap Avenue