BUTTE COUNTY, Calif. - Butte County's finest honored fallen officers in a special event on Tuesday night.
The event took place at Bidwell Mansion on Tuesday night to honor the 148 peace officers and 29 K9 officers that lost their lives in the line of duty across the country in 2018.
Some of these officers honored were from neighboring areas.
Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea sadly lost a member of his own family this past year.
"On Jan. 8 of 2018 my nephew, Daniel McCartney, a deputy sheriff was shot and killed," Honea said. "As a family member of a fallen officer, I know how much it means to the families of those officers on each one of these luminaries tonight."
Community members placed 175 luminaries out at the ceremony to represent each officer.
- Officers Hold Ceremony to Honor Fallen Officers of 2018
- Chico Police Holding Ceremony for Fallen Officers
- Chico honors fallen officer after 80 years
- North state honors fallen CHP officer
- Fallen Shasta County law Enforcement Officers Remembered in Special Ceremony
- Peace officers will be honored in Chico ceremony
- Peace Officers Memorial Ceremony in Chico
- Yuba City Peace Officer Memorial Ceremony
- Fallen firefighter honored in Chico
- Redding Police Department holds annual awards ceremony