Chico, CA -- Chico Police say last Monday, a Redding firefighter came home for a brief rest from fighting the Carr Fire, when he realized his truck had been broken into. Missing was a backpack filled with more than $5,000 worth of personal belongings, including a laptop and hard drive filled with important family photos.
Two days later, Chico Police responded to a shoplifting call at Sportsman's Warehouse on East Avenue. They say Brian Martinson, 33, and Jennifer Estes, 40, were arrested, and it was learned Martinson had several warrants for his arrest in Shasta County, and both were on probation.
Following a search, officers found the firefighters backpack, but the hard drive was, and still is, missing.
Investigators say the pair had been staying in the Palo Cedro area, and that has spurred an additional investigation into vehicle thefts in the region.
The pair now faces additional charges connected to stolen property.
- Chico Police: Two Arrested for Stealing from Redding Firefighter during Carr Fire
- Redding Firefighter Killed in Carr Fire Identified
- Redding Firefighters Listen to Citizens at Carr Fire Community Meeting
- Chico Police Arrest Armed Teen Stealing Gifts
- Red Flag Warning around the 'Carr Fire'
- Redding Businesses Suffer due to Carr Fire
- Firefighters Battle Redding Structure Fire
- Redding Police Chief Moore Loses Home in 'Carr Fire'
- Second Dog Stealing Suspect Arrested in Redding
- Cal Fire firefighter rescues kitten from Carr Fire