CHICO, Calif. - A Chico man was sentenced to 12 years in prison for charges related to a Chico shooting in February and subsequent assault charges in jail.
Butte County District Attorney Mike Ramsey said that on the afternoon of February 21, 2018, Draven Brannon-Thompson, 22, of Chico, was driving near the intersection of Walnut and W. 6 streets when he spotted a 25-year-old male also driving in the area.
According to the news release, Brannon-Thompson believed that the man was associated with a prior drug deal. Security cameras caught Brannon-Thompson circling the block and then waiting after spotting the victim's car at a Chico gas station.
Brannon-Thompson was seen on camera waiting for the victim when he began to accelerate, chasing the victim and firing a handgun multiple times and the victim and their vehicle.
The victim was not hit, but the incident did occur in the middle of the day on a busy street in Chico. Innocent bystanders were placed at risk, Ramsey said.
The assault charge occurred when Brannon-Thompson was in custody at the Butte County Jail.
Ramsey said that Brannon-Thompson and two other inmates launched a coordinated assault on a victim, approaching a 33-year-old man from behind and punching him in the head, knocking him unconscious.
While the inmate was unconscious, Brannon-Thompson and two other inmates proceeded to strike the victim numerous times in the face and head, 19 of the strikes being inflicted by Brannon-Thompson personally.
The victim remained in a hospital for several days after the assault. Ramsey said that the motive for the assault appeared to be an internal gang dispute.
Brannon-Thompson had plead guilt to the shooting and assault charges earlier on. Additionally, he also admitted to having served a prior term in prison.
Ramsey said that his admitted charges constitute two strikes under Claifornia's Three-Strikes Law. Judge Kimberly Merrifield sentenced Brannon-Thompson to 12 years in a state prison.
- Chico Man Sentenced to 12 Years in Prison for Shooting, Assault Charges
- Chico Man Sentenced to 12 Years in Prison
- Dangerous shooting suspect sentenced for Chico shooting
- Man sentenced to 6 years in state prison for vehicular homicide in beloved Chico coach's death
- Yuba County man sentenced to 2 years in prison
- Man Convicted of Shooting Redding Teen Gets Prison Sentence
- Cottonwood Man Receives Prison Sentence Following Rape and Kidnapping Charges
- Anderson Man Sentenced for Assault on Officer
- Man Sentenced for Assaulting Hospital Security Guard
- North State man sentenced for burglary, assault