Chico, Calif—More than a dozen volunteers put on some gloves and got to work to clean up an eyesore in Chico Sunday morning.
The clean-up was organized by a new group called Chico First, which has the goal of creating unity, taking action and being vigilant. One of the ways they hope to meet that goal is by having these clean-ups.
The volunteers cleaned about a half mile-stretch behind the Lowe's on Forest Avenue.
Organizer Rob Berry said it's important for everyone to come together for the well-being of the city.
"This is a unifying event where people feel like they're participating in an effort to improve things and this is also an example of action, this is one type of action. And the vigilance part is that we'll continue to survey this area and make sure we don't lose the ground that we've gained," he said.
The group is doing more than just clean-ups, they are also looking at long-term solutions and plan to give policy recommendations to the city council.
If you're interested in taking part in some of their work, you can join their group on Facebook. We have a link to the "Chico First" page here.
- 'Chico First' group holds community clean-up
- Chico Neighborhood Groups Unite to Clean Out Illegal Campsites
- Volunteer group consistently cleans up Bidwell Park
- Chico Mayor unveils "Community Court"
- Chico Facebook group recognizes local "Icons"
- Chico group helps hungry residents in need
- Chico Group gets Lucky Few Tattoos
- Chico Boy Helps Animal Disaster Group
- State Parks cleans up Big Chico Creek along Bidwell Mansion
- Citizens band together to clean up Chico eyesores