UPDATE 11:20 p.m., August 20, 2019 - Chico Police said the man was identified as Mark Lee, age 52.
Lee, who had illegal items, was arrested for possession of drug paraphernalia.
CHICO, Calif. - A crowd gathered outside K-Mart as Chico Police waited to arrest a man who climbed a tree.
Police say the man was up in the tree for more than an hour, shouting several phrases.
Chico Fire said the man was in the tree about 30 feet off the ground above a parking lot full of people watching.
"They have a lot of taxpayer dollars out here helping this gentleman who decided to climb way up into this tree and I thought it was funny," said Timothy Sealander, who watched the situation from below.
Eventually, they got the man down from the tree with no injuries, said Chico Fire.
The man was in custody at one point and Action News Now is working to find out if the man was arrested and if so, what charges he might face.
- Chico Fire responds to man in tree
- Chico Fire responds to house fire
- Chico Fire responds to restaurant fire that leaves significant damage
- Fire crews responded to fire in downtown Chico law office
- Chico fire responds to smoke from B Street Public House
- Downtown Chico Tree Lighting is tonight
- Chico residents home demolished by tree
- Chico police respond to 2 stabbing incidents
- Chico Police respond to domestic disturbance
- Chico Man Helps Tame an Apartment Fire