Photo Gallery 4 Images
CHICO, Calif. - Chico Fire Captain Ruben "Joe" Joseph Duran died on Sept. 12 following a battle with job-related cancer.
Due to the nature of the cancer, the fire department is deeming it a Line of Duty Death.
Duran spent almost 30 years as a firefighter with the City of Chico until his health required him to retire in August of 2017. During his time with the department, he rose to the rank of Captain and served as the leader of the Department's Rescue Team.
A memorial will be held for Duran on Friday, Sept. 21, at 11:30 a.m. at the Bidwell Presbyterian Church in Chico.
A procession of emergency vehicles will escort Duran from the Bidwell Presbyterian Church to the Chico Cemetery. 1st Street will be closed between Salem and Broadway from 9:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
The following is the procession route:
Begins at 1st Street and Broadway at Bidwell Presbyterian Church
Proceeds south on Broadway to 5th Street
Proceeds east on 5th Street to Main Street
Proceeds north on Main Street to Esplanade
Proceeds north on Esplanade to 1st Avenue
Proceeds east on 1st Avenue to Mangrove Avenue
Proceeds south on Mangrove Avenue to the Chico Cemetery
You can follow the procession route below with the map starting at Point A and ending at Point G.
- Community to Honor Fallen Chico Fire Captain
- Chico Community Honors Fallen Fire Captain
- Fallen firefighter honored in Chico
- Chico honors fallen officer after 80 years
- Chico Fire Captain Recounts Efforts Fighting Carr Fire
- Honoring a Fallen Carr Fire Hero
- North State Firefighters Honor Fallen Cal Fire Mechanic
- North state honors fallen CHP officer
- Chico Police Holding Ceremony for Fallen Officers
- Long Beach Fire Captain Dies While Responding to Structure Fire