UPDATE 10:55 a.m. Thursday, June 13, 2019 - The Chico Costco reopened to customers around 10:55 a.m. after a hazmat situation.
A store employee said that all the whole store is reopened except for the food court because they have to remake all of the food.
The Chico Fire Department also released more information about the hazmat situation.
The department said that the leak was from a pressurized Freon system in the back of the store.
Hazmat crews used SCBAs and were able to reduce the leak by 80%. Maintenance personnel from Redding shut down the rest of the leak.
Employees were let back into the store around 10 a.m.
CHICO, Calif. - The Chico Costco was evacuated Thursday morning due to a Freon leak inside the building.
The Chico Police Department first received reports of the leak around 8:14 a.m. on Thursday. The store was evacuated before the Chico Fire Department and the hazmat crews arrived on the scene.
Police said crews have located the leak but they have not been able to isolate it.
Stay with Action News Now for the latest updates as they become available.
- Chico Costco reopens after hazmat situation
- Unknown substance causes hazmat situation in Placer County Jail
- Standoff situation ends in Chico Avenues neighborhood
- Redding community petitions building of Costco
- Redding Costco project hearing to be postponed
- Chico State Discusses Campus Situation during Camp Fire
- Chico Community Observatory Reopens, Better Than Ever
- Paradise's Old Barn Kitchen reopens in Chico
- Paradise Lens Lab reopens in Chico
- Casa de Paradiso to reopen in Chico