CHICO, Calif. - On Tuesday night, the Chico City Council unanimously approved the final budget proposal for the 2019-2020 fiscal year.
After weeks of discussion, the Chico City Council heard the final budget proposal for the upcoming fiscal year. It was approved 7-0.
"Budget is complicated, Mark did a terrific job of putting all the pieces together and it really truly is the best solution given everything," said Rob Berry, one of the attendees at the meeting.
One of the big items included funding the Chico Police Street Crimes Unit for a full year. Chico Fire will also get an additional firefighter.
"I think public safety in Chico is more just trying to catch up with what is happening, they're overwhelmed," said Jesica Giannola, one of the attendees at the meeting.
This item was made in response to the Chico Police and Fire Chief's needs for more staffing.
"Crimes happen all year around. To not have a street crimes unit all year around doesn't make a lot of sense to me," said Bill Brouhard, one of the attendees at the meeting.
The city manager said that the budget for the upcoming fiscal year totals to $135 million, this includes the general fund and the capital budget.
The budget will also allow for road improvements on the Esplanade between Lindo Channel all the way up to Eaton Road.
"The roads have definitely taken a hit, there's just so much traffic, it's not anyone's fault per se, it's just the result there is more traffic," Giannola said.
Staff recommended to the Chico City Council that the fiscal year for the budget start on July 1.
In addition, the Chico City Council voted to create a housing committee and work toward having a housing conference in the future. The council approved the annual plan to allow federal grant funding for community development and housing. The council also approved the resolution to adopt the proposed city’s fee schedule.
- Chico City Council unanimously approves final budget proposal
- Chico City Council hears about budget proposal, sales tax
- Chico Council set to Discuss City Budget
- Chico City Council starts budget talks
- Chico City Council approves mobile crisis team
- City of Chico Budget Future
- Chico City Council moves forward with proposed development impact fees
- City Council Asked to Consider 'Chico Safe Now' Proposals
- Chico City Council to Consider Proposal for Simplicity Village