UPDATE 05/10/19 10:20 p.m. - The Chico City Council once again shot down support for AB430, Assemblyman James Gallagher's Camp Fire housing bill.
Action news now reporter Laura Eng went to the contentious meeting.
Several people stormed out of the Chico City Council chambers, just seconds after the council shot down support in a special meeting for AB 430.
"Extremely disappointed, extremely disappointed," said Katy Thoma, an AB 430 supporter.
Thoma is one of dozens who spoke in support of AB 430, a bill meant to speed up housing projects after the Camp Fire.
"Streamlining the process, the CEQA process, is just one more tool to get the housing going in light of the Camp Fire," said Thoma.
The council voted 4-1 to exclude Chico from AB 430.
"It's just very sad to me, the fact that we cannot even direct staff to work with the assemblyman, try to come up with a compromise," said Kasey Reynolds, a Chico City Council Member.
"The outcome was what it was, but you saw, I asked the assemblyman specific questions and he danced around them, that never bodes well for me," said Mayor Randall Stone.
At the meeting, 16 people spoke out against AB 430, while 26 people spoke in support of it, including Assemblyman James Gallagher.
"We need to be careful, we don't want this to turn into the Bay Area," said Bruce McLean who opposes AB 430.
Bruce McLean said he is against AB 430 because it has similar intentions with Bay Area development.
"It's the kind of development that was market-driven and didn't take in the consideration the necessity for different economic groups to continue," said McLean.
Friday's vote at the special meeting means that any time that AB 430 is discussed in the future, Chico will not be involved in it.
AB 430 will go to the Assembly Appropriations Committee on May 16th.
CHICO, Calif. - The Chico City Council voted 4-1 against Assembly Bill 430 at a special meeting on Friday.
If passed, the bill would streamline the environmental review process so houses can be built sooner.
The bill, which received a lot of attention to do a housing crisis in Chico since the Camp Fire.
This is a developing story. Stay tuned for updates.
- Chico City Council votes against Assembly Bill 430
- Chico City Council Member accuses Mayor of lying about AB 430 vote
- Chico City Council Votes to Repeal Scrap Metal Ordinance
- Chico City Council to Vote on Homelessness and Crime
- Chico City Council Votes to Accept Donation for Police Department
- Chico City Council votes to review Diversity Action Plan
- Chico City Council to discuss switching to district voting
- Chico City Council to Vote on StoneGate Project
- Chico City Council Votes to Remove An Airport Commissioner
- Chico City Council to Vote on PG&E Donation