Photo Gallery 1 Images
Chico, Calif.-- Chico Police are still searching for the person responsible for shooting a riffle-round through a woman's home in broad daylight below Humboldt Road in Chico a few weeks ago.
It's not exactly shocking - complaints of illegal activity from and around the out-of-repair section of road have been coming in for years.
The road is out of repair and mostly used by bicyclists, but according to police reports it's also used for drug deals, hazardous waste, illegal dumping, prostitution and other illicit activity.
Chico City Councilmember Randall Stone tonight will ask the council to discuss a plan to deter criminal activity in the area.
"There's an opportunity to potentially close the road only to those need or have access because their properties are adjoining the road, and cut it off to the vehicular traffic that's causing most of the problem. That leaves it opens to pedestrians, Chico Velo has been advocating for this, the people with Save the Rock Walls have been advocating for a similar proposal as well," said Stone.
However the group "Respect the Walls" contacted Action News Now to say their goal has never been to close Old Humboldt Road to traffic. They do not want to restrict public access, but have discussed advocating for overnight closure due to the activities that occur there at night. Their main focus is to gain protection for the walls and historic wagon wheel ruts, and to reclaim the area for "healthy public use."
The dangerous activity is becoming even more of a problem as new developments go in and more families move to the area.
Stone says if reducing vehicle traffic isn't a viable option there needs to be an increase in law enforcement, both by city police and the Butte County Sheriff's Office, as the road crosses into both jurisdictions.
Also tonight, the council will take a look at a public safety tax to fund police and roads.
The meeting is tonight at 6 p.m. at the Council Chambers at 421 Main Street, Chico.
- Chico City Council to Discuss Humboldt Road Safety
- Chico Council set to Discuss City Budget
- Chico City Council to discuss 'Simplicity Village'
- Chico City Council to Discuss Collecting Taxes from Airbnb
- Chico City Council to Discuss Bidwell Park Changes
- Chico City Council Discusses Commercial Cannabis, Emergency Shelter
- Chico City Council set to discuss important issues
- Chico City Council Removes Chico Airport Commissioner
- City and organization act to preserve Old Humboldt Road
- Traffic Alert: Humboldt Road Closed Until March