Chico, Calif. -- They say the best way to learn is to put yourself in someone else's shoes and one Chico City Council candidate is doing just that.
Scott Huber is attempting to experience homelessness first hand for the next two days.
Huber will be homeless from Friday until Sunday. He said his goal is to better understand what challenges the homeless encounter in Chico in terms of service, food, shelter and public acceptance.
Huber left his home in north Chico with only a backpack, sleeping bag, tarp and a change of clothing.
"I learn best by doing rather than just watching or reading," said Huber.
His goal this weekend? To understand the challenges of homelessness.
"I assume I'll end up in the Jesus Center, I know that much, that that's sort of hub for people in crisis," said Huber.
Huber will try to find organized shelter if possible. He started his day by going on an hour walk from his home to the Jesus Center.
"The basic concept behind this is I'm newly homeless, I've been evicted, I don't have any money. I'm in a town where I don't have any support network," said Huber.
If the candidate cannot find room in a shelter, he will find a place to sleep outside.
Action News Now has spoken with viewers who want change made about homeless people in parks and playgrounds.
"What we need to do is come up with some housing options. We need to shelter these people first and then address their challenges whether that's drugs or mental problems or out of work," said Huber.
To better understand the challenges of homelessness, Huber will also go on a Chico Police ride-along and accompany the DCBA Downtown Ambassadors on their rounds.
- Chico City Council candidate experiences homelessness first-hand
- Hillary Clinton Endorses Chico City Council Candidate
- Chico City Council approvals
- Candidates file intent to seek election to Chico City Council
- Chico City Council Candidate Set to Visit Boulder, CO.
- Leading Chico City Council Candidates Talk Sit-Lie
- Chico City Council to Vote on Homelessness and Crime
- Chico City Council looking at new Homeless Work Plan
- Chico City Council Removes Chico Airport Commissioner
- First candidate declares run for Chico council seat