CHICO, Calif. - The council voted unanimously in favor of accepting a $500,000 donation from the North Valley Community Foundation to bring a new officer on board.
An anonymous donor gave $500,000 to the foundation, with funds earmarked for a new officer.
"It's not going to solve all of our issues, we know that," said Chico Police Chief Mike O'Brien. "You don't add 20,000 people to your community and solve it with one officer. Everyone understands that, but every little bit helps and we can certainly put that offer to good use."
The money will cover the new officer's salary, benefits and start-up costs for as long as possible.
It is estimated the donation will fund the new position for more than three years.
- Chico City Council Votes to Accept Donation for Police Department
- Chico City Council accepts PG&E $50K donation
- Chico City Council Votes to Accept PG&E Donation
- Chico City Council to Vote on PG&E Donation
- Redding City Council votes for more funding to Police Department
- Chico City Council approvals
- Chico City Council Votes to Repeal Scrap Metal Ordinance
- Chico City Council to Vote on StoneGate Project
- Chico City Council Votes to Remove An Airport Commissioner
- Chico City Council to Vote on Homelessness and Crime