The man arrested by Chico Police for allegedly setting fire to his wife was arraigned Tuesday on a charge of violating probation, for a previous domestic violence conviction.
Investigators say 36 year old Steve Ramirez poured gas on his wife and lit her on fire on Friday, July 16, 2018 during an argument outside their home on Laburnum Avenue.
Butte County District Attorney Mike Ramsey told Action News Now that there is not enough evidence to file felony charges because it is not clear just who "flicked the Bic" in the fire that gave the unidentified woman second degree burns.
Ramsey says the couple had struggled over gas and a gas can, and the burning of a pile of the husband's clothing. And, Ramirez was also injured.
He remains jailed on $100 thousand dollars bail, and is due back in court August 9th.
- Chico Burned Woman Suspect in Court
- Chico Murder Suspect Appears in Court
- Chico Mayor unveils "Community Court"
- Woman in Chico taken into custody after suspected DUI wreck
- Chico High Burglary Suspect Arrested
- Serial Suspect: Chico Neighbors Concerned
- Chico Police Arrest Shooting Suspects
- Missing Chico woman found dead
- Butte County Superior Court Selects Chico Alumna as Court Commissioner
- Former Chico Police sergeant back in court