CHICO, Calif. - The Chico Animal Shelter is at full capacity with nearly 100 dogs and cats ready to be adopted.
Animal Services Manager Tracy Mohr has worked at the shelter for eight years and says it's not uncommon for adoptions to be slow during this time of year.
"We kind of tend not to have a lot of adoptions for dogs during the summer because people are kind of busy - they're away - so they kinda don't want to take on the responsibility of a dog," she said.
Mohr said even though the shelter is full, they try to accommodate new dogs that come in needing shelter.
"You know we do what we can to make room in terms of just finding a kennel space," Mohr said. "Sometimes we'll have to see if we can find a foster home for a dog to make space, things like that. We never euthanize for space."
Some dogs at the shelter have been waiting for a home for six months, but Mohr said some dogs need more training than others.
"We may spend a couple of months working with those dogs because they need some behavior modification," she said.
Overall, there are around 50 dogs available to adopt through the city of Chico or the Butte Humane Society. Also, there's at least 35 cats or kittens available with more on the way.
Mohr said the shelter is in the middle of kitten season.
"We have probably over 60 kittens in foster care right now and as they are getting old enough to be adopted they're coming back," she said. "Some of them are just waiting to be spayed or neutered before they can go home."
Mohr said adoption starts to pick up again in August.
"When people are back from vacations, back on their work schedule, kind of a routine - that's when we see adoptions pick up," she said. "But if you're thinking of adopting a dog definitely come visit and see who's available."
The Clear the Shelter Event is happening on August 17 as a way to promote the animals.
- Chico Animal Shelter at full capacity, looking for adopters
- Chico Animal Shelter
- Chico Animal Shelter closed for staff training
- City Compost Facility is Temporarily Closed due to Full Capacity
- Chico Animal Shelter helped eight animals find their forever homes on Clear the Shelters day
- Camp Fire Animal Shelters Closing
- Chico Declares Shelter Crisis
- Max Capacity at Chico Compost Facility Causes Temporary Closure
- City of Chico may outsource animal shelter & control
- Chico Animal Shelter recipient of PetSmart Charities grant