CHICO, Calif. - Kristina Chesterman's memorial on Nord Avenue has been vandalized as the six-year anniversary of her death approaches.
The Chico State nursing student was 21 years old when she was run over by a drunken driver on September 22, 2013.
Since then, Chesterman's legacy has lived on. After her death, her parents, Sandra and Dave Chesterman found her bucket list and worked to make every item on that list come true. A health clinic in Nigeria was built in Kristina's memory, and her organs helped several people live more fulfilling lives.
Chico icon Mike Griffith said he gave Chesterman a ride in his pedicab a few nights before her death. He has been organizing a bicycle safety event on the Chico State campus every September since her death. He hands out bicycle safety gear to students and brings awareness to the dangers of impaired driving.
Griffith said he was irritated to find Chesterman's memorial had been vandalized, again. "I'm furious," Griffith said. "I tried to get in the other person's mind like what would they be thinking, and I just can't figure it out that's pretty much an evil thing."
Action News Now reached out to Sandra Chesterman. She said, though she was disappointed to learn someone had vandalized her daughter's sign, she was choosing to focus on the love and warmth she's received from the people of Chico.
"Chico has embraced my family in a way that I never expected...Kristina loved it so much and then was killed and as I drove out of Chico that awful day we had to say goodbye and leave Kristina," Chesterman said. "I vowed to never return but the support from the community showed me a side of Chico that I couldn’t even believe and won my unwavering love. I’m beyond grateful."
The 7th Annual Kristina Chesterman Bike Safety Awareness Event is Tuesday, Sep. 10 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Trinity Commons area of the Chico State campus.
- Chesterman memorial vandalized
- Kristina Chesterman Memorial Event planned for Monday
- Redding cheerleader memorial vandalism
- Race held in memory of Kristina Chesterman, woman killed in fatal DUI crash
- American Flags Vandalized on Memorial Day
- Suspected veteran memorial vandal arrested in Redding
- Hospital in Nigeria dedicated to life of Kristina Chesterman opens its doors
- Redding military monument vandalized ahead of Memorial Day weekend
- Headstones Vandalized at Redding Cemetery
- Vandals topple Prunedale beehives, kill 200,000 bees