On March 3rd around 3 p.m. officers with the Redding Police department responded to a stabbing near Trinity Street and Center Street in downtown Redding.
Officers surrounded the area and found Cody Hammond, 23 years old of Redding near the 1500 block of Trinity Street with a stab wound to his arm.
He was transported by ambulance with non-life threatening injuries.
Officers learned that there was an altercation that took place between several subjects, turning physical which led to a suspect using a knife to stab Hammond.
The suspects involved in the altercation fled the area.
With assistance from witnesses in the area and video captured on someone’s cell phone officers were able to identify Jamey Walsh, 33 years old of Redding as the suspect responsible for stabbing Hammond.
Walsh was linked to the stabbing due to evidence located, and he was arrested and charged with assault with a deadly weapon.
Officers also located Edward Grijalva, 52 years old from Redding near the scene.
Officers learned that he was not responsible for the stabbing, however he was involved in the altercation.
During the incident Grijalva made threats toward the victim. He was arrested for criminal threats and booked into the Shasta County Jail.
Witnesses in the area were instrumental in capturing the suspects involved in this incident. This investigation serves as another example of how citizens and the Redding Police Department can work together to solve major crimes.
- UPDATE: Two arrests made in connection with downtown Redding stabbing
- Redding police arrest suspect connected to stabbing attack
- Redding police arrest stabbing suspect
- Thieves Arrested in Downtown Redding
- Arrest Made in Redding Shooting
- Redding Sees Update to Downtown Specific Plan
- Redding police arrest Parkview stabbing suspect
- Redding Police: Woman arrested following stabbing
- Redding Police: Man Arrested for Attempted Stabbing
- Suspected bike thieves arrested in Downtown Redding