Chico Calif.-- Today is National Puppy Day, a great excuse to celebrate man (and woman's) best friend.
The holiday was established in 2006, in an effort to raise awareness about the large amount of dogs who need adopting.
You'll probably see it trending on Twitter Friday, because who doesn't love a reason to share a photo of their dogs?
44 percent of all U.S. households have a dog, that's according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
The ASPCA says, 3.3 million dogs enter U.S. animal shelters nationwide every year. Each year, approximately 670,000 shelter dogs are euthanized.
Here in the North State, most of the area shelters are near capacity. So, if you think you could use a dog, go check out your shelter nearby. If you're not ready to do that, it's a great day to donate to one. Money can go towards keeping facilities and adoptable animals in great shape.
- Celebrate National Puppy Day with Action News Now
- National Puppy Day
- Chico students celebrate National Pink Shirt Day
- National Flag Day Celebrated in Willows
- National Ice Cream Day Celebrated in Chico
- Community celebrates National Poppy Day with annual walk, 5K run
- National Peanut Butter Day
- It's National Pizza Day
- National Lineman Appreciation Day
- It's National Waffle Day!